Monday, August 21, 2006

Liverpool captain admits contract offer from Man Utd

Liverpool ace Steven Gerrard has admitted he once had the chance to join Manchester United.

As a youngster he wore the Man Utd shirt in two trial games. After his trials, United offered the midfielder a three-year pro contract, however he turned it down.

Gerrard revealed that Michael Owen was also there but didn't bother to turn up for the trialists meal.
"I wore the red of United in two trial games," said Gerrard in his book.

"After doing well in those games United offered me a three-year pro contract.

"I even met their legendary manager. A group of trialists had dinner with Mr Ferguson, as he was then. Michael Owen was meant to be at the meal, but didn't turn up.

"We sat and listened in awe to one of the managerial greats. He had heard about me and desperately wanted me to sign, but I was never going to sign for United.

"I looked around other clubs partly to pressure Liverpool into giving me a YTS contract."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home